Your Door to All Things Italian
We Embrace All Who Enjoy All Things Italian and Desire To Expand Their Knowledge of a Beautiful Country, Its People and Its Language
The Dante Alighieri Society of Washington promotes the
Italian language and culture and welcomes all who share those
objectives. Each year we present English and Italian programs
open to the public, and host the Christmas party and the
Annual Wine Dinner featuring wines from throughout Italy. The
Society also sponsors an Italian Language program with
beginner to expert classes for everyone who wants to learn,
improve or perfect their fluency in Italian.
Sign up for our email list here.
You will receive news of upcoming events and our monthly
newsletter La Voce della Dante.
Time to renew your membershipA reminder that it's membership renewal time again. Membership goes from January to December each year and the cost for 2019 is the same as it's been the last few years: $40 for a single membership, $50 for a family. Membership is open to anyone who supports the objectives of the
organization. We embrace anyone who supports our mission to encourage the enjoyment of Italian language and culture.
Your membership enables the Society to:
- Present 7 English and 6 Italian programs each year, and host the Christmas party and the Festa di Natale per i Bambini
- Publish our La Voce monthly newsletter, and maintain our website free to all
- Offer an Italian Language program with beginner to expert classes for everyone who wants to learn, improve or perfect their fluency in Italian
- Support Italian-themed community events such as Festa Italiana and the SIFF Cinema Italian-style film festival
- Dante memberships and donations are tax-deductible
- Your Dante Society card provides discounts at some attractions in Italy
- Opportunity for free tickets SIFF's Cinema Italian-style film festival
- Come to our annual members and guests only wine dinner
And this year it's even easier to renew (or to join). Check out our online renewal options here.
La Voce della Dante is taking the month of December off. Linda Heimbigner, our fearless editor, is looking for articles for future issues. Dante Society members are encouraged to contact Linda with ideas or stories of their travels to Italy or other Italian-themed articles.
Please note the new locations of upcoming meetings:
- The December 2018 Annual Christmas Party will be held at the St. James Cathedral Pastoral Outreach Center, 907 Columbia Street on First Hill. Parking is available in the O'Dea High School Parking Lot, just 1 1/2 blocks to the East between Columbia and Marion.
- The January English and Italian Meetings will be held at St. Patrick's Catholic Church, 2702 Broadway E, on the North side of Capitol Hill. Parking is available in St. Patrick's parking lot, off of E. Edgar street.
Next English-language gathering:
Wed, December 12, 2018
Annual Christmas Party
St. James Cathedral Pastoral Outreach Center, 907 Columbia Street
The December English meeting is a time for fun and
celebration at the annual Christmas party. Enjoy the evening
catching up with fellow Dante members and join in the
holiday mood with singing and a rousing game or two of
tombola. Giuseppe Tassone will once again be the host of
tombola and call out the numbers. You may be a lucky winner!
Want to know more about tombola? Check
out this explanation.
Instead of the usual pasta dinner, for this meeting in the
spirit of the Italian love for food, Dante members and their
friends bring an antipasto, dolce, or a favorite main dish
to share. And don't forget the wine. It is a time to indulge
in some favorite dishes and be merry!
know you are coming so we can make sure there are
enough tables and chairs set up.
Hope to see you there.
Next Italian-language gathering:There is no Italian-language gathering in December.
The next Italian-language meeting will be January 23, 2019 at St. Patrick's Catholic Church, on North Capitol Hill. More details on the presentation from Prof. Susan Gaylard on Italian fashion will be available later.
Next Italian language class series:
Winter Quarter 2019
January 8 - March 14
Registration Due by December 21.
Three learning levels available
Become a Dante Member
Join the Fun and Support Dante Seattle through Your Membership. Check out the attached message from our President on reasons to join.
Dues are effective on the calendar year. Make sure that yours are current.
Special Announcements & Events:
- Early Music Seattle in partnership with Early Music
Vancouver presents Claudio Monteverdi's Christmas
Vespers at Seattle First Baptist Church. "
With violins, cornetti, sackbuts, theorbos, and voices
under the direction of David Fallis, experience a
recreation of the lavish celebration of Christmas Vespers
from the Church of San Marco in 17th-century Venice, with
music by the incomparable Claudio Monteverdi!" More
information and tickets are available on the Early Music
- Seattle Opera presents Giuseppe Verdi's Il
trovatore at McCaw Hall, 321 Mercer Street
from January 12 - 26, 2019. Information about the
performance and tickets are available on the Seattle
- The long time home of the Dante Alighieri Society of
Washington (DAS), the Beacon Hill Garden House, has been
sold. The November and December English
Meetings (there are no Italian meetings those two months)
will be held at the St. James Cathedral Pastoral Outreach
Center, 907 Columbia Street on First Hill. See Gatherings Page for a map.
DAS has been holding meetings at the Garden House for more than forty years. DAS is exploring alternative venues for the remainder of this program year.
- Biblioteca Italiana Seattle (BIS), a library of Italian language literature is maintained by Il Punto! The library includes the Dante Alighieri Society of Washington's collection. Membership for BIS is free and users can borrow books at no charge. Library books can be picked up by visiting BIS at 14300 Greenwood Ave N on Sundays between 2 and 4pm, with the help of a volunteer. Learn more.
- Check out Italian Talk Radio, Mondays, 4:00pm - 5:00pm. You can find it in Seattle on KKNW 1150AM, in Tacoma on KLAY 1180AM or online live at 1150KKNW.com. Learn more about NW Italian Talk Radio.
- The Auburn Bocce Club offers free bocce instructions on Tuesday and Thursday from 3:00 - 6:00 PM, mid-April through mid-October, weather permitting @ Les Gove Park in Auburn. See auburnbocce.org for more information.
- DAS Language Program Honored with a Grant for the second year from the Italian Cultural Institute of San Francisco and the Consulate General of Italy in San Francisco.