Your Door to All Things Italian
We Embrace All Who Enjoy All Things Italian and Desire To Expand Their Knowledge of a Beautiful Country, Its People and Its Language
The Dante Alighieri Society of Washington promotes the
Italian language and culture and welcomes all who share those
objectives. Each year we present English and Italian programs
open to the public, and host the Christmas party and the
Annual Wine Dinner featuring wines from throughout Italy. The
Society also sponsors an Italian Language program with
beginner to expert classes for everyone who wants to learn,
improve or perfect their fluency in Italian.
Sign up for our email list here.
You will receive news of upcoming events and our monthly
newsletter La Voce della Dante.
Festa di Natale
The Dante Alighieri Society of Washington's 23rd Annual Festa di natale per i bambini is coming Saturday, December 1. This year's event will be held at Christ the King Church, Brannan House, 11544 Phinney Avenue N in Seattle. Activities include:
- Procession of the Presepio
- The tale of La Befana
- Italian songs
- Games of tombola
- Italian word games
- Christmas letter to parents
- Fresh pizzele cookies
- Pizza and salad
Pre-registration by November 26 is required. A registration form and additional information, including directions, is available here. As always, we are looking for volunteers. If you are interested in helping out, contact Caterina Wartes at (360) 638-2500.
La Voce della Dante
The November issue of our newsletter La Voce delle Dante is out. This issue includes:
- Information about the the November English Language meeting;
- News about SIFF
Cinema Italian Style showing recent Italian films this
week and next at the Uptown Cinema in Queen Anne;
- Joyce Ramee's recipe for Pasta with Chick Peas served at
October's English gathering;
- An update from the Language School Director; and
- Directions to the Parish Outreach Center (POC) at St James where we will hold the November and December meetings.
Please note that the location of the November and December 2018 English Meetings will be held at the St. James Cathedral Pastoral Outreach Center, 907 Columbia Street on First Hill. Parking is available in the O'Dea High School Parking Lot, just 1 1/2 blocks to the East between Columbia and Marion.
Next English-language gathering:
Wed, November 14, 2018
Prof. Beatrice Arduini
“Italian Languages and Dialects”
Beatrice Arduini completed her undergraduate and doctorate degrees at the University of Milan in Italy and received her Ph.D from Indiana University - Bloomington. She centers her work on Medieval Italian literature and Dante Studies, particularly on manuscript culture. She is currently working on her book project, The Invention of Dante’s Convivio, which examines the tradition of Dante’s unfinished treatise in manuscripts and early printed editions. Her research and teaching interests also include Early Italian and Occitan Literature and the development of the song collection genre (canzonieri) in order to investigate how the material form of texts crucially determines their meanings.
for dinner beginning Friday, November 9.
Next Italian-language gathering:There is no Italian-language gathering in November or December. The next will be January 23, 2019. More details later.
Next Italian language class series:
Fall Quarter 2018
October 2 - December 11
Registration Due by September 25
Five learning levels available
Become a Dante Member
Join the Fun and Support Dante Seattle through Your Membership. Check out the attached message from our President on reasons to join.
Dues are effective on the calendar year. Make sure that yours are current.
Special Announcements & Events:
- SIFF's Cinema
Italian Style 2018 begins November 8 with the
opening film "The Guest" directed by
Duccio Chiarini. The full lineup and schedule can be found
on the SIFF website. The Dante Alighieri Society of
Washington is a co-sponsor of the series.
- The long time home of the Dante Alighieri Society of
Washington (DAS), the Beacon Hill Garden House, has been
sold. The November and December English
Meetings (there are no Italian meetings those two months)
will be held at the St. James Cathedral Pastoral Outreach
Center, 907 Columbia Street on First Hill. See Gatherings Page for a map.
DAS has been holding meetings at the Garden House for more than forty years. DAS is exploring alternative venues for the remainder of this program year.
- Biblioteca Italiana Seattle (BIS), a library of Italian language literature is maintained by Il Punto! Membership for BIS is free and users can borrow books at no charge. Library books can be picked up by visiting BIS at 14300 Greenwood Ave N on Sundays between 2 and 4pm, with the help of a volunteer. Learn more.
- Check out Italian Talk Radio, Mondays, 4:00pm - 5:00pm. You can find it in Seattle on KKNW 1150AM, in Tacoma on KLAY 1180AM or online live at 1150KKNW.com. Learn more about NW Italian Talk Radio.
- The Auburn Bocce Club offers free bocce instructions on Tuesday and Thursday from 3:00 - 6:00 PM, mid-April through mid-October, weather permitting @ Les Gove Park in Auburn. See auburnbocce.org for more information.
- DAS Language Program Honored with a Grant for the second year from the Italian Cultural Institute of San Francisco and the Consulate General of Italy in San Francisco.