Your Door to All Things Italian
We Embrace All Who Enjoy All Things Italian and Desire To Expand Their Knowledge of a Beautiful Country, Its People and Its Language
The Dante Alighieri Society of Washington promotes the
Italian language and culture and welcomes all who share those
objectives. Each year we present English and Italian programs
open to the public, and host the Christmas party and the
Annual Wine Dinner featuring wines from throughout Italy. The
Society also sponsors an Italian Language program with
beginner to expert classes for everyone who wants to learn,
improve or perfect their fluency in Italian.
Italian Instructors Needed ...
The Dante Alighieri Society of Washington is looking for one or more instructors to teach in its Italian Language program. Classes are held Tuesdays and Thursdays evenings from 7:00 to 8:30 p.m. Each class involves 30 hours of instruction per quarter. There are three quarters per school year, from October to June.
candidates are native speakers of Italian with a college
degree, experience in teaching and excellent interpersonal
and communications skills. Applicants must be
authorized to work in the United States.
Candidates are asked to
contact the language program director, Giuseppe Tassone.
- Seattle Opera presents Giuseppe Verdi's Rigoletto from August 10 through August 28th. For more information and tickets, visit the Seattle Opera website.
- Seattle San Gennaro Festival The Sixth Annual Seattle San Gennaro Festival returns to Georgetown September 6th to 8th. Get more details on this year’s events at the Festival’s website.
- The 32nd Annual Festa Italiana at the Seattle Center takes place September 28 & 29. Festa Italiana is free and celebrates the cultural roots of Italians and Italian-Americans in the Pacific Northwest by promoting the arts, the food and the culture that are uniquely Italian. Come visit the Dante Alighieri Society’s booth and take a quiz to test your knowledge of Italy’s regions. More information can be found at Festa Italiana’s website.
- The Dante Alighieri Society's new home is St. Patrick's Catholic Church, 815 East Edgar Street, on the North side of Capitol Hill. Parking is available in St. Patrick's parking lot, off of E. Edgar street. The meetings take place in the Parish Hall, located in the basement of the church and is entered on the West side of the church, off the parking lot. Except for one or two meetings a year, this will be our new location.
Next English-language gathering:
Wed., Sept. 11, 2019, 6:30 pm
St. Patrick's Catholic Church
Festa Italiana Quiz Preview
Next Italian-language gathering:Wed. Sept. 25, 2019, 6:30 pm
St. Patrick's Catholic Church
Florence, Dante and Me
Next Italian language class series:
Fall Quarter 2019
October 1 - December 10
Membership goes from January to December each year and the cost for 2019 is the same as it's been the last few years: $40 for a single membership, $50 for a family. Membership is open to anyone who supports the objectives of the organization. We embrace anyone who supports our mission to encourage the enjoyment of Italian language and culture.
Your membership enables the Society to:
- Present 7 English and 6 Italian programs each year, and host the Christmas party and the Festa di Natale per i Bambini
- Publish our La Voce monthly newsletter, and maintain our website free to all
- Offer an Italian Language program with beginner to expert classes for everyone who wants to learn, improve or perfect their fluency in Italian
- Support Italian-themed community events such as Festa Italiana and the SIFF Cinema Italian-style film festival
- Dante memberships and donations are tax-deductible
- Your Dante Society card provides discounts at some attractions in Italy
- Opportunity for free tickets SIFF's Cinema Italian-style film festival
- Come to our annual wine dinner for members and guests
And this year it's even easier to join or renew. Check out our online membership and renewal options here.
La Voce della Dante is on hiatus. Linda Heimbigner, our fearless editor, is looking for articles for future issues. Dante Society members are encouraged to contact Linda with ideas or stories of their travels to Italy or other Italian-themed articles.
Special Announcements and Events:
- Biblioteca Italiana Seattle (BIS), a library of Italian language literature is maintained by Il Punto! The library includes the Dante Alighieri Society of Washington's collection. Membership for BIS is free and users can borrow books at no charge. Library books can be picked up by visiting BIS at 14300 Greenwood Ave N on Sundays between 2 and 4pm, with the help of a volunteer. Learn more.
- Check out Italian Talk Radio, Mondays, 4:00pm - 5:00pm. You can find it in Seattle on KKNW 1150AM, in Tacoma on KLAY 1180AM or online live at 1150KKNW.com. Learn more about NW Italian Talk Radio.
- The Auburn Bocce Club offers free bocce instructions on Tuesday and Thursday from 3:00 - 6:00 PM, mid-April through mid-October, weather permitting @ Les Gove Park in Auburn. See auburnbocce.org for more information.
- DAS Language Program Honored with a Grant for the second year from the Italian Cultural Institute of San Francisco and the Consulate General of Italy in San Francisco.