Your Door to All Things Italian
We Embrace All Who Enjoy All Things Italian and Desire To Expand Their Knowledge of a Beautiful Country, Its People and Its Language
The Dante Alighieri Society of Washington promotes the
Italian language and culture and welcomes all who share those
objectives. Each year we present English and Italian programs
open to the public, and host the Christmas party and the
Annual Wine Dinner featuring wines from throughout Italy. The
Society also sponsors an Italian Language program with
beginner to expert classes for everyone who wants to learn,
improve or perfect their fluency in Italian.
- Dante Alighieri Society member and frequent guest speaker Cecilia Strettoi will be giving a three hour workshop on travel to Tuscany on Wednesday, June 26 at Seattle Central College. Click here for more information and to register.
- The Seattle International Film Festival is now on. This year's lineup includes four Italian films: An Almost Ordinary Summer, Piranhas, The Man Who Bought the Moon, and Twin Flower. In addition, Ron Howard's documentary film on Luciano Pavarotti is playing one time on June 9.
- The Dante Alighieri Society's new home is St. Patrick's Catholic Church, 815 East Edgar Street, on the North side of Capitol Hill. Parking is available in St. Patrick's parking lot, off of E. Edgar street. The meetings take place in the Parish Hall, located in the basement of the church and is entered on the West side of the church, off the parking lot. Except for one or two meetings a year, this will be our new location.
Next English-language gathering:
Wed., Sept. 11, 2019, 6:30 pm
Location and Topic will be announced later.
Next Italian-language gathering:Wed. Sept. 25, 2019, 6:30 pm
Location and Topic will be announced later.
Next Italian language class series:
Fall Quarter 2019Dates for registration and classes will be announced in July.
Membership goes from January to December each year and the cost for 2019 is the same as it's been the last few years: $40 for a single membership, $50 for a family. Membership is open to anyone who supports the objectives of the organization. We embrace anyone who supports our mission to encourage the enjoyment of Italian language and culture.
Your membership enables the Society to:
- Present 7 English and 6 Italian programs each year, and host the Christmas party and the Festa di Natale per i Bambini
- Publish our La Voce monthly newsletter, and maintain our website free to all
- Offer an Italian Language program with beginner to expert classes for everyone who wants to learn, improve or perfect their fluency in Italian
- Support Italian-themed community events such as Festa Italiana and the SIFF Cinema Italian-style film festival
- Dante memberships and donations are tax-deductible
- Your Dante Society card provides discounts at some attractions in Italy
- Opportunity for free tickets SIFF's Cinema Italian-style film festival
- Come to our annual wine dinner for members and guests
And this year it's even easier to join or renew. Check out our online membership and renewal options here.
La Voce della Dante is on hiatus. Linda Heimbigner, our fearless editor, is looking for articles for future issues. Dante Society members are encouraged to contact Linda with ideas or stories of their travels to Italy or other Italian-themed articles.
Special Announcements and Events:
- Biblioteca Italiana Seattle (BIS), a library of Italian language literature is maintained by Il Punto! The library includes the Dante Alighieri Society of Washington's collection. Membership for BIS is free and users can borrow books at no charge. Library books can be picked up by visiting BIS at 14300 Greenwood Ave N on Sundays between 2 and 4pm, with the help of a volunteer. Learn more.
- Check out Italian Talk Radio, Mondays, 4:00pm - 5:00pm. You can find it in Seattle on KKNW 1150AM, in Tacoma on KLAY 1180AM or online live at 1150KKNW.com. Learn more about NW Italian Talk Radio.
- The Auburn Bocce Club offers free bocce instructions on Tuesday and Thursday from 3:00 - 6:00 PM, mid-April through mid-October, weather permitting @ Les Gove Park in Auburn. See auburnbocce.org for more information.
- DAS Language Program Honored with a Grant for the second year from the Italian Cultural Institute of San Francisco and the Consulate General of Italy in San Francisco.