- This event has passed.
Special Presentation – March 23, 2022
March 23, 2022 @ 7:00 pm
When: March 23, 2022
Speaker: Dr. Steven Novek
Topic: The Life of Dante and La Divina Commedia
There will be a “social hour” beginning at 7 pm. The presentation will start at 7:30. Click here to see a recording of the presentation.
About the Presentation:
At this exciting meeting, we will be airing a prerecorded “class” on Dante led by Dr. Steven Novek, a US-born physician who has lived and worked in Italy for many years. Dr. Novek is a longtime Dantista whose avocation is spreading knowledge about and love for Dante to high school students in Italy. He will lead a number of Dante Seattle members on a quick tour of Dante’s life and La Divina Commedia. Among the topics covered will be:
- Florence in the time of Dante
- Dante’s exile to Northern Italy
- The structure of the Divine Comedy
The presentation will focus on three cantos in particular:
- Inferno, Canto X: the Heretics
- Purgatorio, Canto III: Manfred
- Paradiso, Canto XVII: Cacciaguida
You are encouraged to read these cantos ahead of time. They can be found online at the Princeton Dante Project.
A viewing guide prepared by Janet Lenart is also available.
DANTE ALIGHIERI SOCIETY OF WASHINGTON
Live Meeting COVID Guidelines
Even as COVID variants continue to plague the population, we are trying to return to offering live meetings for Dante this season. We’ve all been longing for a return to shared meals, and since this is foundational to Dante activities, we want to make it possible. Following the guidelines and regulations now in place by many workplaces, public venues and community groups, the Dante Board of Directors has agreed to the guidelines listed below as an acceptable plan to keep us as safe as possible when meeting in person.
1) Please do not attend if you have been exposed to COVID, or are experiencing any symptoms of illness. We will make best efforts to record the presentations so that those who cannot attend in person can enjoy them afterwards. There will also be a few meetings presented on ZOOM instead of live this season, for all to enjoy like last year.
2) Masks are encouraged. Although no longer required, we encourage attendees to wear masks when not eating or drinking.
Thank you again for your understanding and observance of these guidelines. Let’s work together to control COVID!!!