- This event has passed.
Special Presentation – March 23, 2022
March 23 @ 7:00 pm
When: March 23, 2022
Speaker: Dr. Steven Novek
Topic: The Life of Dante and La Divina Commedia
There will be a “social hour” beginning at 7 pm. The presentation will start at 7:30. Click here to see a recording of the presentation.
About the Presentation:
At this exciting meeting, we will be airing a prerecorded “class” on Dante led by Dr. Steven Novek, a US-born physician who has lived and worked in Italy for many years. Dr. Novek is a longtime Dantista whose avocation is spreading knowledge about and love for Dante to high school students in Italy. He will lead a number of Dante Seattle members on a quick tour of Dante’s life and La Divina Commedia. Among the topics covered will be:
- Florence in the time of Dante
- Dante’s exile to Northern Italy
- The structure of the Divine Comedy
The presentation will focus on three cantos in particular:
- Inferno, Canto X: the Heretics
- Purgatorio, Canto III: Manfred
- Paradiso, Canto XVII: Cacciaguida
DANTE ALIGHIERI SOCIETY OF WASHINGTON
Live Meeting COVID Guidelines
Even as COVID variants continue to plague the population, we are trying to return to offering live meetings for Dante this season. We’ve all been longing for a return to shared meals, and since this is foundational to Dante activities, we want to make it possible. Following the guidelines and regulations now in place by many workplaces, public venues and community groups, the Dante Board of Directors has agreed to the guidelines listed below as an acceptable plan to keep us as safe as possible when meeting in person. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused by these regulations and will continue to stay current as the season evolves. If things get better, we may be able to loosen up the current plans. But meanwhile, we ask that Dante members and those from our wider mailing list cooperate with the plans as outlined below. These are also in keeping with the rules provided by St. Clements, our new residence.
1) Mandatory proof of full vaccination is required for anyone attending any live Dante Meeting. This applies to members, presenters, cooks and guests. Please bring a photo or photocopy of your COVID card with you when you come to any meeting. Dante is not set up to offer secure web-site proof, where you can upload a photo, as some workplaces are able to do. Please just bring the photo on your phone or a photocopy of the card with you. We will make the check-in process as streamlined as possible, hopefully needing to screen your proof only once.
2) Obviously – please do not attend if you have been exposed to COVID, or are experiencing any symptoms of illness. We will make best efforts to record the presentations so that those who cannot attend in person can enjoy them afterwards. There will also be a few meetings presented on ZOOM instead of live this season, for all to enjoy like last year.
3) Masks should be worn at all times at meetings except when seated for dining. This roughly follows the current Washington State rules for indoor restaurant dining and is in line with St. Clements current practice. We will have the windows and doors open as possible in our downstairs dining area. Presentations will take place in the upstairs sanctuary where there is more room for seating at distanced intervals. Presenters can unmask for their talks, as they will be distanced from those seated.
4) Those preparing and/or bringing food to meetings: please mask and wash hands in the preparation of food to be shared. Pre-Dante-Pasta chefs will stay masked in the kitchen. For anyone bringing antipasti or desserts: please portion for individual servings; avoid serving common dips, spreads etc. Food (including bread, cookies, etc) will be served with utensils. Hand sanitizer will be provided and we ask that we all use it each time we return to the table.
Thank you again for your understanding and observance of these guidelines. Let’s eliminate COVID contagion together!!!